May the reading of these writings take you places, both familiar and new...

Monday, March 22, 2010

Homemade Dress

Homemade Dress

I spun around, around, around.
The skirt of cotton calico flared wide,
Spread and rippled and fanned the air.
I fell, gasping, delighted, into a chair.
Mama had sewn me a new dress.

On the bouncing bus ride to school,
So as not to crush the crisp,
I sat on the edge of the seat.
I so wanted to stay neat,
For it was Picture Day.

In the center of the classroom,
Blond and bright, demure,
In pink satin and patent leather,
Clustered together,
Stood the Princess and her court.

Her rosebud lips pursed flawlessly,
Her ice-blue eyes casually,
Viewed my dress and me from a distance,
And said with that glance,
"Homemade, isn't it?"

My dress hung limp, folds flopped down,
No more spinning around, around.
"Line up, class, for the picture."
We lined up for the class picture.
It was picture day.
L

No comments:

Post a Comment