May the reading of these writings take you places, both familiar and new...

Monday, March 22, 2010

First Kiss

First Kiss

Where do you go to be alone?
The basement family room of Johnny B.
He with his duff colored hair nipped just beyond the scalp
In the classic crew cut, wearing blue jeans rolled at the cuff
Plain white t-shirt ala James Dean.
My hair confined in a ponytail and wearing denim cutoffs,
Sandra Dee wannabe.

Both thirteen, and thirsty for knowledge.
Television volume cranked up
Parents one flight above
Know we are watching
Days of our Lives.

We sit on the couch side by side.
Shifting, inching
Ever closer to one another,
My mind racing.
"Is he going to kiss me?"

His arm slips around my shoulders.
"Is he going to kiss me?"

My palms are sweating.
"Is he going to kiss me?"

The awkward angling of
Heads, noses, chins and teeth clinking,
Attempting the pose never before attempted.
And then ... the lips come together!

Gross!

No comments:

Post a Comment